Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

I've been slacking on the baking (and the blogging) for the past two weeks. Between looking for a real job and working as a waitress I've had just enough time to grab a few bowls of cereal here and there and sleep occasionally. I'm ready for a true 9-5, to say the least. Bring on the routine hours and predictable days of sitting at a desk and editing, please. But finally, today, a day of respite with nothing at all required of me. With a lazy day ahead of me, I rolled out of bed at a prompt 10:30... to a 45-degree overcast day. Bad for boating, running, biking, sunbathing. Perfect for baking.


It was a toss-up between the following recipe and my favorite cookie in the world, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Since I'm planning a massive breakfast-for-dinner affair tonight, I figured a cookie would be a little too much like the stacks of pancakes I'm bound to consume. But be prepared for those in the very near future. So, I present to you

So good with vanilla ice cream, as usual.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble 


Ingredients:
2 cups rhubarb, cut into pieces
2 cups strawberry, ditto
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
2 TB corn starch
Topping:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
Pinch of salt
Directions: Mix rhubarb, sugar, water, vanilla, salt and corn starch. Pour into pan; mix topping ingredients and add to top. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. As easy as 1, 2, 3.

 Mix, crumble, eat. Today was my easy day with a perfect dessert to top it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment