Thursday, May 26, 2011

Brownie Batter Ice Cream

Another day, another chocolate addiction. And this one is a keeper.


This might be up there with the best ice cream I've ever had. Certainly the best I've ever made. And anyone who knows me knows that I am quite the ice cream enthusiast/self-proclaimed connoisseur. And this stuff is gooooood.

Creamy and pure vanilla ice cream falls in love with dark, raw brownie batter. They're having a marvelously happy life together. In my belly.

Brownie Batter Ice Cream
Ingredients:

For the ice cream:
1 cup egg beaters (equivalent of 4 eggs)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups cream
2-3 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups whole milk
Most of the brownie batter

For the brownie batter:
2 1/4 sticks butter, melted
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup plus 4 TB cocoa powder
1/2 cup special dark cocoa powder (if you don't have this, just use regular cocoa)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 cup egg beaters
1/2 cup flour

Directions: For the ice cream, cream the sugars and eggs with a hand mixer. Combine rest of ingredients, then add most of the brownie batter mixture. Pour into ice cream maker container and chill for a few hours. Then make the ice cream according to the ice cream maker's instructions.


My handy dandy electric churner did all the hard work for me. All I had to do was keep pouring in ice and salt.


































The ice cream maker took about 20 minutes to finish churning the ice cream. You can eat it immediately, or stick it in the freezer for a few hours for a harder consistency.


I'm telling you, this ice cream is amazing. It knocks the socks off Ben & Jerry's version of the flavor. And this is even before the half-raw brownie pieces are added.


Rich chocolate batter combines with the vanilla ice cream to form perfection. To step this up one more notch (as if that is necessary), I put a bit of the brownie batter into the oven at 325 degrees until it was a little bit cooked. About 10 minutes or so. Then crumbled some pieces into the mix.

 Luckily, this recipe makes a ton of ice cream so there is plenty left over to dip into any time, day or night. Put it in a tub and stick it in the freezer. Put some wax paper over the top to keep the freezer burn away (Thanks Martha Stewart...).



 And dish out a bowl of this awesome ice cream whenever you fancy. Like right now. Stay tuned for many more ice creams to come. I think I've started something here. I smell another obsession. 

3 comments:

  1. Two yummy chocolate confections in a row??? You are killing me. We have a tradition of making ice cream at our beach house with the grandkids...this one is definitely NEXT! Can you use 4 eggs instead of the egg beaters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can! I just am funny about raw eggs, but my family usually uses normal eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That sounds and looks amazing!!

    New to your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete