Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cornies

These little guys said hello to me this morning.

Cornies, or cornmeal pancakes, are a classic in my family. They grace the breakfast table for every birthday or special occasion and on most Sunday mornings. They signify a treat, a welcome break from cereal, and most importantly, comfort.

They are simple and not at all gourmet. But they are oh so good.

On this pollen-infused Wednesday morning, I needed something wonderful. Something that doesn't require a lot of thought or movement from that huge sinusy mess that used to be my brain. Pancakes will make everything right in the world. Cornies it is.

Ingredients:
All you need is a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix, which usual sells for under 25 cents at the store. Add in:

1 egg
2 TB shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
1 TB corn meal

Necessity: REAL maple syrup
Optional additions: butter, pecans, blueberries



Directions:
Mix all ingredients together. Heat griddle to 350 and grease lightly. Pour batter onto griddle by large spoonfuls. Flip when bubbles appear.

The most important ingredient for this morning treat is, of course, real maple syrup. I happen to be a syrup snob, but trust me, it makes a huge difference. Look at that golden beauty:

Drizzle (who am I kidding, the proper verb is drench) the syrup on the cakes and dig in!


Family secret: mash the cornies. So much better that way!


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you gave the insider tip to mash the pancakes, pioneered by yours truely. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete