Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce



I'm sorry to say that I have not been very attentive to this blog lately. Or, for that matter, to my sweet tooth. Poor thing. It's had to make due with boxed brownies and bakery cupcakes for these kitchen dry spells. I've started doing freelance writing for a local paper, and still work most evenings at the restaurant, and with all this work when am I supposed to make cookies!? Really, I need to get my priorities straight.

Finally, I had time to make something. And, what do you know, it was more ice cream. For my dad of course, it being Father's Day and all. And, the best Dad in the world who taught me everything good in life, requested dark chocolate ice cream. He knows his stuff, that's for sure.

It was so good that I, as per my usual, ate enough for three large football players. Dad liked it too.

Dark Chocolate Ice Cream (and I mean dark)
Makes 4 qts.
Ingredients:
6 eggs, or one egg beaters
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
2 cups brown sugar
6 TB vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pt. half & half
1 whipping cream (half pint)
whole milk (to fill line, about 1 quart)
2 bags ice and salt, or whatever your ice cream maker requires

Directions: Beat together all ingredients except milk. Chill in the refrigerator if you have time, if not, that's fine too. Then pour the batter into the ice cream container and add milk to the fill line. Make according to the ice cream maker instructions.

This is a really simple way to kick up plain old homemade ice cream. And it's even better with this salted caramel sauce...


Salted Caramel Sauce
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
3/4 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup and bring to a boil. Brush down any crystals on the side of the pan. Boil over high heat until a deep amber caramel forms, about 6 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the cream, butter and salt. Let the caramel cool to room temperature. This will last about two weeks if you keep it covered in the fridge (assuming that it makes it past the first ice cream bowl). If it gets too thick, add a spoonful of very hot water (from the tap) and whisk until smooth.


Drizzle over any ice cream for some awesome flavor, and try not to eat the whole jar.

1 comment: