Monday, July 18, 2011

Hogwart's Pumpkin Pasties

Hello my name is Kelley and I'm addicted to Harry Potter.

This might not seem serious. But how would you feel if you couldn't stop speaking with an English accent. And if you couldn't finish any other books because you had to keep re-reading the series before the next movie release? Or if you felt it necessary to reference Hogwarts, A History in most conversations and often found yourself muttering "lumos" instead of reaching for the light switch?


I may be exaggerating a teensy bit. At least about the light switch thing. Okay, I do it, but I don't expect my spell to actually work... it sucks to be a muggle.

The new movie came out this weekend, and while I didn't wait in line for hours wearing robes and my Gryffindor colors, I did decide to express my Pottermania in other, more practical ways. With food, of course.

For the final movie, I was tempted to prepare a Hogwarts style feast complete with steak & kidney pie, pudding, butterbeer and treacle tart. However, I'm not as talented as a house elf.


Pumpkin Pasties recipe from harrypotterrecipes
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 15-oz can pumpkin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp all spice
1 can sweetened condensed milk

2 pie crusts

Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine ingredients. Bake in a large greased casserole dish at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake another 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.



On a clean surface, roll out pie crusts. Use a bowl (about 4-5 inches across) to cut out rounds.




Place rounds onto a baking sheet and place a large spoonful of the baked pumpkin onto the middle of one half of the round, like so.



Fold the pie crust over and crimp the edges closed. Cut slits in the tops to allow venting. Mine are lightning bolt shaped. Cute, right?



These are delicious and are a much better treat than that nasty overpriced popcorn at the movies. Luckily these are just the right size to sneak into a movie theater and eat under cover of darkness sans knife and fork. Although they'd also be excellent with vanilla ice cream.



The movie is a must see, and these are a great accompaniment! Dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment