Saturday, July 23, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


This world is full of perfect pairings: bread and butter, milk and cookies, Stabler and Benson, me and Rupert Grint... and last but certainly not least, peanut butter and chocolate. In cookie form.

I used to turn up my nose at any additions to the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. Why mess with a good thing? I'd ask. Keep your walnuts, your cherries, your raisins and especially your peanut butter, thank you.

That is, until I discovered the cookies at Spoon Market, a little place in Wooster, Ohio located conveniently and disastrously next to my work place. Each day when I see those enormous cookies sitting smugly in the window, I have to get one, even when the only flavor in the case is peanut butter chocolate chip. I tried. I fell in love.

So, I am now on a mission to duplicate Spoon's huge, slightly undercooked, chewy cookies that are chocolate chip with not an overpowering addition of pb. This is take number one in a series of searches.


Pillowy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients: 
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1-1/4 cups chocolate chips

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer. Add in the egg, vanilla and pb and beat until smooth. Mix in flour, baking powder and salt with a wooden spoon, then add chocolate chips.


Form into balls and drop onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 9 minutes, remove from oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes to let them firm up.



Eat with a huge glass of milk, because these turn out slightly airy and pillowy. They are dying to be dunked in a cold glass of milk. These are excellent and perfect for the cakey-cookie lover.



While these are delicious and mysteriously disappeared from my counter top as fast as I could take them out of the oven, they did not quite live up to the Spoon-like cookie of my dreams. Man, I guess I'll just have to try again. Life is so hard....

No comments:

Post a Comment