Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Carrot Cake Ice Cream


Happy Anniversary, belly up! To celebrate the occasion, I made carrot cake ice cream, something I've been curious about and craving for ages.

{Carrot Cake Ice Cream}
Ingredients
3 eggs or egg beaters
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups grated carrot



Directions
Whisk together eggs, sugar, 2/3 cup brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir in milk and cream. In a sauce pan, combine the 3/4 cup brown sugar with the butter over medium heat. When melted, stir in the carrots. Cook for another 5 minutes, until thick.

Meanwhile, put ice cream mixture in a large 4-quart pot over medium low hear. Heat while stirring. Simmer without letting it boil for about 7 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool (I do so with an ice bath).

When chilled, stir in cinnamon, then beat in the cream cheese. Make according to ice cream maker instructions.

If carrot cake is your thing, make this ice cream. It's all the cold creaminess of ice cream with all the taste of carrot cake. It even smells like carrot cake. So good, I snuck home from work for my second helping of the day. Like I said, please: Make this ice cream.



5 comments:

  1. This sounds so good, I love carrot cake! Great post! A fun different ice cream for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this today and it is very good. A bit confused about the directions though. You've got the vanilla being added in two different places, no time mentioned to add in the heavy cream and you mention to cool again after it's already cooled. I winged it and it came out fine, I may cook the carrots a little longer next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been corrected. I don't see any of those mistakes. Sounds delish!

      Delete
  3. I'm making this right now and it looks and smells so good! The recipe doesn't say when to combine the carrot/butter/sugar mixture and the cream. I have them both chilling separately for now. I think I'll combine them right before mixing in the cream cheese.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Just made this for a bbq, and it truly tastes like carrot cake. I just cooled both the carrot/brown sugar mix and the ice cream mix in two separate ziploc bags and put them both into an ice bath to cool, which worked well. My friends freaked out with excitement about how good this ice cream was. I also made a simple caramel sauce to add over the top. Awesome. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete