Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Spiced Blueberry Baked Oatmeal



Ready for one of those breakfasts that actually makes you excited to wake up in the morning? So excited that you actually wake up before the alarm? This coming from the girl who typically hits snooze six times just to grumpily roll out of bed at 8 a.m. 

But for you, dear spicy blueberry baked oatmeal, I will happily wake, and before 8 a.m. at that. That's saying something.

{Spiced Blueberry Baked Oatmeal}
Ingredients
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 banana, if desired


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together oats, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, mix together vanilla, butter, eggs and milk. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Add in blueberries and bananas, if using.

Pour batter into either a 9x9 baking dish or several ramekins. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until brown at the edges.


I like to eat this piping hot, drizzled with either milk or vanilla greek yogurt and, on sweet days, maple syrup. Then topped with lots of fresh fruit. It is so good in the morning, for dinner, as dessert, and it is perfect for re-heated breakfasts on the go.



6 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious! I'm going to have to try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this on Saturday. I thought it was pretty tasty. It reminds me of a bread pudding or a cobbler. I drizzled some vanilla soy milk on mines, I cooked it with frozen bluberries. My fiance and my son wasn't crazy about it. I will use this recipe again and maybe try it heated with vanilla icecream. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this twice now and it is scrumptious. It is my new favorite breakfast! Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just given six pints of blueberries & have been baking away! This sounds perfect to add to our Father's Day breakfast tomorrow!!! I'm going to measure & mix the dry stuff tonight so I can still hit snooze a time or two! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know how long this will last in the fridge? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually eat it right away, but I've kept it in the fridge for up to two days. It's best fresh though!

    ReplyDelete