Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Toasted Caprese Sandwiches


I'm a carnivore. What can I say, steak makes me drool. I can track the scent of grilling chicken from miles away. BBQ pork? I can put them away, trust me. Me, a vegetarian? HA.
I'd laugh in your face.
Until you show me these. What's delicious, smells like heaven, is packed with flavor and awesome? This toasted meatless caprese sandwiches, that's what.

{Toasted Caprese Sandwiches}
Serves two
Ingredients
French baguette, cut into two sections and sliced in half
Handful of fresh basil
4 ounces fresh Mozzarella, sliced into triangles
1 tomato, thickly sliced into triangles
2 tablespoons balsamic 
2 tablespoons pesto
Pepper and crushed red pepper, if desired.


Directions

Pre-cut the baguette, mozzarella and tomato. Pre-heat broiler.
To assemble:  Spread one tablespoon of pesto on each section of baguette. Layer on tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Drizzle liberally with balsamic. Sprinkle with pepper and crushed red pepper.


Place sandwiches under the broiler on an ungreased baking sheet until lightly toasted. Serve while hot!


Modeled after the "Half Baked" from the indescribable Spoon Market & Deli, which I mention here for their heavenly scones, these come pretty darn close. Make, eat, repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment