Monday, April 4, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


 For my very first post, I want to make the very first recipe I ever baked.

I will make that time-honored standby, beloved by sticky-fingered kids, sweet-toothed adults, my dough-dipping boyfriend, and every other human (or animal for that matter) with the ability to taste, smell, or breathe: chocolate chip cookies.  Over the years, I've tweaked this classic recipe to perfection.

 
I’ve been known to eat 4 or 5 of these babies at once. 


The trick to the ultimate chocolate chip cookie is the texture. Some like them crisp and crunchy. Some like them cakey and soft. Personally, I’m of the chewy and gooey persuasion. I believe a cookie should melt in your mouth, and in your hand. A napkin should be necessary. A few hours after eating one, you might find chocolate in the corners of your mouth, on your pants, in your hair, behind your ears. Be forewarned: these aren't cookies for the prim and proper. A delightful mess will ensue.


Best Chocolate Chip Cookies 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crisco
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
handful old-fashioned oats (adds a hearty heft to the cookie)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup bitter-sweet chocolate chips (60 % cacao gives the perfect contrast to the sweetness of the rest of the cookie)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together butter, crisco, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips. 


Drop by large spoonfuls onto un-greased cookie sheet. Don't be shy.

Bake for around 8 minutes, till just golden brown and still gooey. Don't overcook! There's nothing worse than a hard chocolate chip cookie. After a minute or two, remove from cookie sheet and place on wax paper or parchment paper to cool.



If you're like me, you won't be able to resist the still-hot cookie beaming up at you from the paper, just waiting to be devoured. Trust me, its worth the mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment