Sunday, April 17, 2011

Oatmeal Pancakes

*Recipe serves two hungry people
Ever have a hankering for pancakes? Well, it happens to me quite often, and rather randomly. At six o'clock on a Sunday, for instance. Pancakes aren't just for breakfast, I always say. Or, at least I say that after eating these.

Oatmeal Pancakes
Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 TB unsalted butter, melted
1 cup flour
1 TB brown sugar
1 TB white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
An hour or two before you begin, soak the oats in a bowl of milk and store in the fridge.

This helps to soften the oats a little and give them a nice pancakey texture.

You can do this overnight if you are planning on having these pancakes in the morning.

When you are ready to make the pancakes, combine oat and milk mixture with the eggs, butter and vanilla. Next stir in the rest of the dry ingredients.

Preheat a griddle to medium-low, around 250 degrees. You don't want the pan to get too hot because these robust pancakes are so much thicker than normal ones. In order to cook them through and avoid a raw center, they have to be on the griddle for a bit longer and at a lower heat. This is to avoid burning the pancake's outside as they cook through. 

I'll admit it, I have a few weaknesses when it comes to pancakes: 1) I can never decide which one of my too many aprons to wear while being a master flipper, 2) I like to eat the batter. Call me crazy, and 3) I'm a very hasty pancake flipper. Patience is not my virtue. And hastiness is a fatal flaw with these pancakes. So I had to cool my jets. 

I added chocolate chips, I couldn't resist! Flip when you see bubbles.


Do not flip too early or they will be runny on the inside, not good for these pancakes.
They should be a nice golden brown on each side and solid in the middle.

Let the pancakes cook for about 5 minutes on each side. They need to cook through, and this takes a bit of time. Serve with bananas and warm maple syrup!

Chocolate chips made these almost cookie-like, for those with a sweet tooth. Nuts, raisins or bananas would also be delicious!

1 comment:

  1. These are also great with fresh cut up strawberries and cinnamon on top, a cold glass of almond milk doesn't hurt either! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete