Friday, April 22, 2011

Morning Baked Oatmeal

This is one of those dreary mornings when I don't want to do anything except drink coffee and read until the morning stretches to afternoon and suddenly it's twelve and I haven't moved. Does that happen to anyone else? Ah, the benefits of semi-unemployment...

And a lazy morning such as this would not be complete without a warm breakfast to fill my lazy belly and lull me into lazing around for even longer. A breakfast that tastes more like dessert than breakfast.

Baked Oatmeal

*recipe makes 4 individual servings, the equivalent of 4 large ramekins. I usually half it.
Ingredients:
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients. Some people would tell you to get fussy about sifting the dry, beating the eggs, etc, but not me. Throw them all together and it turns out great with very little effort on your part.Divide equally into ramekins and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.









These come out of the oven smelling so good, it's hard too resist the temptation to dig your spoon in immediately and risk a serious tongue burn (I may have done this more than once). If
you can, wait a about five more minutes before eating, however don't wait too long because these are best served warm with a little milk on top. These are also delicious with vanilla ice cream, but I don't condone that before noon.... er.... right.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment